Re: Internal key management system

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Internal key management system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 08, 2020 at 02:48:54PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 at 03:24, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 2020-02-07 20:44:31 +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> > Yeah I'm not going to use pgcrypto for transparent data encryption.
>> > The KMS patch includes the new basic infrastructure for cryptographic
>> > functions (mainly AES-CBC). I'm thinking we can expand that
>> > infrastructure so that we can also use it for TDE purpose by
>> > supporting new cryptographic functions such as AES-CTR. Anyway, I
>> > agree to not have it depend on pgcrypto.
>>
>> I thought for a minute, before checking the patch, that you were saying
>> above that the KMS patch includes its *own* implementation of
>> cryptographic functions.  I think it's pretty crucial that it continues
>> not to do that...
>
>I meant that we're going to use OpenSSL for AES encryption and
>decryption independent of pgcrypto's openssl code, as the first step.
>That is, KMS is available only when configured --with-openssl. And
>hopefully we eventually merge these openssl code and have pgcrypto use
>it, like when we introduced SCRAM.

I don't think it's very likely we'll ever merge any openssl code into
our repository, e.g. because of licensing. But we already have AES
implementation in pgcrypto - why not to use that? I'm not saying we
should make this depend on pgcrypto, but maybe we should move the AES
library from pgcrypto into src/common or something like that.

regards

От: Justin Pryzby
Сообщение: ALTER TABLE rewrite to use clustered order
От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: Internal key management system