The backup API and general purpose backup software

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема The backup API and general purpose backup software
Дата
Список pgsql-general
This is inspired by the thread with the subject "Something else about
Redo Logs disappearing", but since that thread is already quite long,
since I have lost track what exactly "Peter"'s problem is and since his
somewhat belligerent tone makes it unappealing to reread the whole
thread I'll attempt a fresh start.

To make a full backup with the "new" (non-exclusive) API, a software
must do the following

1. open a connection to the database

2. invoke pg_start_backup('label', false, false) in the connection from
   step 1.

3. copy the contents of the data directory to the backup medium

4. invoke pg_stop_backup(false, true) in the connection from step 1.

5. copy the result from the previous step to the backup medium.

(It is assumed that any archived WALs are also archived in a manner that
they can be restored together with this backup. If this is not the case
adding them to the backup would be step 6.)

So far so good and writing a program which implements this should not
pose a great difficulty.

General purpose backup software often assumes that it can perform a
backup in three steps:

1. Invoke a pre-backup script.

2. Copy files to the backup medium in such a way that they can be
   identified as a group and be restored together and without mixing
   them with data from another backup session.

3, Invoke a post-backup script.

(I have to admit that is has been a long time since I've looked at any
backup system in any detail. Doubtlessly many have a more complicated
model, but I'm fairly confident that this is still the lowest common
denominator.)

Now we have two problems.

The first is that the pre-backup script has to exit before the proper
backup can begin, but it also has to open a connection which will stay
open during the backup because it will be needed in the post-backup
script again. This can be solved by starting a background process which
keeps the connection open and providing some communication channel
(perhaps a Unix pipe) for the post-backup script to communicate with
this background process. A bit awkward, but no great deal.

The second problem is that the post-backup script will only be called
after the backup is finished. So the information returned by pg_stop_backup
cannot be included in the backup which makes the backup useless. This is
indeed serious, and I don't see a way around this in this simple model.

But there is a workaround: Split the backup.

I am assuming that the backup software uses a unique ID to identify each
backup and passes that ID to the pre-backup and post-backup script.
This ID is used as the label in the call to pg_start_backup().
It is also included in the information returned by pg_stop_backup(). So
the post-backup script stores that information in a different place
(maybe including the ID in the filename(s) to avoid conflicts and for
redundancy) and then triggers a backup of that place (or alternatively
that can be backed up independently).

To restore a backup, you will then also need two steps:

1) Restore the summary information from the second backup. Inspect the
backup_label to find the ID of the backup of the data.

2) Restore that backup

(3) Put the backup label where it belongs, make sure the archived WALs
    are accessible and start the database

        hp

От: "Peter J. Holzer"
Сообщение: Definition of REPEATABLE READ
От: Vishal Agrawal
Сообщение: Re: Unable to init and run postgresql-12 on centos 8.2.2004