Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: PSQL CLI Drivers
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Greetings,

* David G. Johnston (david.g.johnston@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 11, 2020, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/11/20 1:21 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:17 PM Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Please exchange the "Sent from my ..." text for your mail signature. Or
> >> do you get paid by the manufacturer?
> >
> > Really?

David's correct in his response here, though perhaps a few more words
can help clarify- there's a lot of folks who have signatures that they
use on these lists and there generally isn't any hard and fast rule
about what's acceptable or not, but a one-line comment about the email
being sent from a mobile device is entirely acceptable and does not
deserve comment or concern.

> > Also, reply-all is recommended.
> >
> > Reply-to-list is recommended for list discussions.
>
> I can’t actually find a recommendation but just looking at what actually
> happens here broadly, and by high-volume posters specifically, reply-all is
> the norm.  The point is to make sure you include the list, not exclude
> individuals (or only reply to individuals).

Reply-all is the convention used on these lists.  I don't think folks
get horribly bent out of shape over reply-to-list, but it can be a bit
confusing and in some cases lead to responses taking longer as some
folks prioritize things that are sent to them directly (because they've
engaged in that thread) vs. the rest of the email that hits the list.

There's certainly arguments for if that's really the 'best' approach or
not, but it's been convention here for at least the past 15 years, so I
don't expect it's likely to change anytime soon. :)

Thanks,

Stephen