Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-03-17 16:01:58 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > - why is HIDE_TOAST_COMPRESSION useful? Doesn't quite seem to be
> >   comparable to HIDE_TABLEAM?
>
> Andres, what do you mean by this exactly? It's exactly the same issue:
> without this, if you change the default compression method, every test
> that uses \d+ breaks. If you want to be able to run the whole test
> suite with either compression method and get the same results, you
> need this. Now, maybe you don't, because perhaps that doesn't seem so
> important with compression methods as with table AMs.

I think that latter part is why I wasn't sure such an option is
warranted. Given it's a builtin feature, I didn't really forsee a need
to be able to run all the tests with a different compression method. And
it looked a like it could just have been copied from the tableam logic,
without a clear need. But if it's useful, then ...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Getting better results from valgrind leak tracking