Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 08:08:01AM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 7:00 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> > | Allow VACUUM VERBOSE to report page deletion counts for each scan of an index (Peter Geoghegan)
> >
> > I think "Allow" is wrong - should just say that VACUUM VERBOSE reports..
>
> It's also not accurate, since the count of deleted pages was always
> shown by VACUUM VERBOSE (once per index scan). The new feature has us
> show pages deleted by the VACUUM that actually ran (not some earlier
> VACUUM) -- these are "newly deleted pages".
>
> I don't think that this item is worth mentioning, though -- it's just
> a nice to have. If Bruce removes it from the release notes entirely I
> won't object.
>
> In addition to the items that I commented on in my response to
> Matthias just now, I should point out the following item as worthy of
> inclusion:
>
> 9dd963ae25 Recycle nbtree pages deleted during same VACUUM.
>
> I suggest that this item be phrased more or less as follows:
>
> "Allow VACUUM to eagerly place newly deleted B-Tree pages in the Free
> Space Map. Previously VACUUM could only place preexisting deleted
> pages in the Free Space Map for recycling."

OK, god it.  New text is:

    <listitem>
    <!--
    Author: Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>
    2021-03-21 [9dd963ae2] Recycle nbtree pages deleted during same VACUUM.
    -->

    <para>
    Allow VACUUM to eagerly add newly deleted btree pages in the free
    space map (Peter Geoghegan)
    </para>

    <para>
    Previously VACUUM could only place preexisting deleted pages in
    the free space map.
    </para>
    </listitem>

От: Fabien COELHO
Сообщение: Re: seawasp failing, maybe in glibc allocator
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft