Re: Always bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Always bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-05-12 16:18:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Even if we did change the rule going forward, you'd still need to
> do it properly for existing releases, so I don't see that you're
> going to save anything.

It turns out that the last time a major version didn't have a unique
control file version was 9.5, I assume that's where David is coming
from.

That said, I don't think it's a good practice to use the control file
version as an identifier for the major version. Who knows, it might be
necessary to add an optional new format in a minor version at some point
or such crazyness. And then there's the beta stuff you'd mentioned, etc.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Always bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION?
От: David Steele
Сообщение: Re: Always bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION?