Re: syntax question

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: syntax question
Дата
inner subprograms ... Was: syntax question  (Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun  3, 2021 at 03:21:15PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>
> >> You can't create functions inside of functions;  same for procedures.
>
> > Sure you can:
>
> Yeah.  The actual problem here is that Marc is expecting variable
> substitution to occur within a utility (DDL) statement, which it
> doesn't.  The workaround is to build the command as a string and
> use EXECUTE, as Adrian illustrated:
>
> > EXECUTE  'create function ' ||  bidule || '() RETURNS void language
> > plpgsql AS $fnc$ BEGIN END; $fnc$ ';
>
> This is not terribly well explained in the existing docs.  I tried
> to improve the explanation awhile ago in HEAD:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-GENERAL-SQL

Oh, I thought he wanted to declare a function inside the function that
could be called only by that function, like private functions in Oracle
packages can do.  Yes, you can create a function that defines a function
that can be called later.  I guess you could also create a function that
_conditionally_ creates a function that it can call itself too.  My
point is that you can't create a function that has function scope ---
they all have schema scope.