Re: bottom / top posting

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: bottom / top posting
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun  7, 2021 at 07:53:30PM +0200, Francisco Olarte wrote:
> message like yours in 5-10 seconds, properly scanning a top posted one
> takes much longer. So normally I stop reading at the quote and discard
> the message if I have not understood with what I have read UNLESS it's
> from my mother or I'm been paid to read it.
>
> I find top-posting moderately offensive, like saying "I am not going
> to waste time to make your reading experience better".

Yes, that is basically it, and if you are only communicating with one
other person, maybe that is reasonable.  However, since our emails are
read by thousands, we have a responsibility to make them as clear as
possible, and that includes trimming and quoting relevant parts of
messages.  However, as much as I try, I still regularly have typos in my
emails.  :-(

And you are right in your earlier email in saying that "don't top-post"
or "bottom-post" is not clear enough in explaining how to properly
"trim-post", as you stated.  Some people trim-post automatically, while
others have never thought about it since their communication is almost
always informal.

От: Thomas Kellerer
Сообщение: Re: index unique
От: Ignacio Rey
Сообщение: JDBC error: Unexpected packet type: 25