Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Mmm.. checkpoint and checkpointer are quite confusing in this context..

At Tue, 08 Feb 2022 16:58:22 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote in
> At Mon, 7 Feb 2022 13:51:31 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote in
> >

> > On 2022/02/07 12:02, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > > - If any later checkpoint/restartpoint has been established, just skip
> > >    remaining task then return false. (!chkpt_was_latest)
> > >    (I'm not sure this can happen, though.)
> > > - we update control file only when archive recovery is still ongoing.
> >
> > This comment seems to conflict with what your PoC patch does. Because
> > with the patch, ControlFile->checkPoint and
> > ControlFile->checkPointCopy seem to be updated even when
> > ControlFile->state != DB_IN_ARCHIVE_RECOVERY.
>
> Ah, yeah, by "update" I meant that "move forward". Sorry for confusing
> wording.

Please ignore the "that".

> > I agree with what your PoC patch does for now. When we're not in
> > archive recovery state, checkpoint and REDO locations in pg_control
> > should be updated but min recovery point should be reset to invalid
> > one (which instruments that subsequent crash recovery should replay
> > all available WAL files).
>
> Yes.  All buffers before the last recovery point's end have been
> flushed out so the recovery point is valid as a checkpoint.  On the
> other hand minRecoveryPoint is no longer needed and actually is
> ignored at the next crash recovery.  We can leave it alone but it is
> consistent that it is cleared.
>
> > > - Otherwise reset minRecoveryPoint then continue.
> > > Do you have any thoughts or opinions?
> >
> > Regarding chkpt_was_latest, whether the state is
> > DB_IN_ARCHIVE_RECOVERY or not, if checkpoint and redo locations in
> > pg_control are updated, IMO we don't need to skip the "remaining
> > tasks". Since those locations are updated and subsequent crash
> > recovery will start from that redo location, for example, ISTM that we
> > can safely delete old WAL files prior to the redo location as the
> > "remaining tasks". Thought?
>
> If I read you correctly, the PoC works that way. It updates pg_control
> if the restart point is latest then performs the remaining cleanup
> tasks in that case. Recovery state doesn't affect this process.
>
> I reexamined about the possibility of concurrent checkpoints.
>
> Both CreateCheckPoint and CreateRestartPoint are called from
> checkpointer loop, shutdown handler of checkpointer and standalone
> process.  So I can't see a possibility of concurrent checkpoints.
>
> In the past we had a time when startup process called CreateCheckPoint

- directly in the crash recovery case where checkpoint is not running
- but since 7ff23c6d27 checkpoint is started before startup process
+ directly in the crash recovery case where checkpointer is not running
+ but since 7ff23c6d27 checkpointer is launched before startup process

> starts.  So I conclude that that cannot happen.
>
> So the attached takes away the path for the case where the restart
> point is overtaken by a concurrent checkpoint.
>
> Thus.. the attached removes the ambiguity of of the proposed patch
> about the LSNs in the restartpoint-ending log message.

Thoughts?

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

От: Kyotaro Horiguchi
Сообщение: Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query
От: Bharath Rupireddy
Сообщение: Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message