Re: No default for (user-specific) service file location on Windows?

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: No default for (user-specific) service file location on Windows?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 10:57:55AM +0200, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 10:17 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Or is it instead a lack of symmetry in the implementations of these
> > > two mechanisms?
> >
> > As far as I can see from the code it should be
> > %APPDATA%\postgresql\.pg_service.conf
> >
> > Does this one work?
>
> Yes it does! Thanks.

Ah great!

> > There is a discrepancy (apart from the documentation) as the default
> > file name is the same on Linux and Windows.
>
> The doc is explicit about Windows for the password file,
> probably should be for the service file as well IMHO.

Yeah I totally agree.  I'm attaching a patch for that.

> It's unfortunate that the naming conventions are different.
> Might need to be warned about in the doc too. My $0.02.

I agree that the discrepancy is annoying, but I don't think that we usually add
this kind of warning.  I didn't do anything about it for now.

> Could also be changed to try both on Windows, with or w/o the leading dot,
> but I suspect this kind of change won't be considered worth implementing :).

We can't change the default file in older branches obviously, but I'd be a bit
worried about changing the default in the next major version either as it would
add unnecessary pain for users that do know and rely on the current default.  I
guess we have to live with it, and properly document it.

От: Dominique Devienne
Сообщение: Re: No default for (user-specific) service file location on Windows?
От: Koen De Groote
Сообщение: Re: In case of network issues, how long before archive_command does retries