Re: pgsql: doc: fix wording describing the checkpoint_flush_after GUC

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: pgsql: doc: fix wording describing the checkpoint_flush_after GUC
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hola-hallo,

On 2023-Nov-13, Andres Freund wrote:

> On 2023-11-13 12:31:42 +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On 2023-Nov-09, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > doc: fix wording describing the checkpoint_flush_after GUC
> >
> > Hmm.  Is this new wording really more clear than the original wording?
> > I agree the original may not have been the most simple, but I don't
> > think it was wrong English.
>
> I think it was somewhat wrong (I probably wrote it) or at least awkwardly
> formulated. "force the OS that pages .. should be flushed" doesn't make a ton
> of sense.

Heh, you know what?  I was mistaken.  There was indeed a grammatical
error being fixed.  The complaint [1] was that "you" was missing in the
sentence, and apparently that's correct [2].

[1] https://postgr.es/m/155208475619.1380.12815553062985622271@wrigleys.postgresql.org
[2] https://english.stackexchange.com/a/60285

So the core of the requested change was to turn "allows to force" into
"allows you to force".  And this means that your new proposal:

> It probably should be something like:
>   On Linux and POSIX platforms <xref linkend="guc-checkpoint-flush-after"/>
>   allows to request that the OS flushes pages written by the checkpoint to disk
>   after a configurable number of bytes.  Otherwise, these [...]

would still fall afoul of the reported problem, because it still says
"allows to request", which is bad English.

> OTOH, the new formulation doesn't seem great either. The request(s) that we
> make to the OS are not guaranteed to be followed, so the "should be" was
> actually a correct part of the sentence.

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that nuance.  Your text looks OK to me, except
that "...  after a configurable number of bytes" reads odd after what's
already in the sentence.  I would rewrite it in a different form, maybe

  On Linux and POSIX platforms, checkpoint_flush_after specifies the
  number of bytes written by a checkpoint after which the OS is requested
  to flush pages to disk.  Otherwise, these pages ...

Cheers

"Ninguna manada de bestias tiene una voz tan horrible como la humana" (Orual)

От: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker
Сообщение: Re: retire MemoryContextResetAndDeleteChildren backwards compatibility macro
От: Nathan Bossart
Сообщение: Re: retire MemoryContextResetAndDeleteChildren backwards compatibility macro