Re: pg_upgrade failing for 200+ million Large Objects

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: pg_upgrade failing for 200+ million Large Objects
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 06:47:44PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I have spent some more effort in this area and developed a patch
> series that I think addresses all of the performance issues that
> we've discussed in this thread, both for pg_upgrade and more
> general use of pg_dump/pg_restore.  Concretely, it absorbs
> the pg_restore --transaction-size switch that I proposed before
> to cut the number of transactions needed during restore, and
> rearranges the representation of BLOB-related TOC entries to
> reduce the client-side memory requirements, and fixes some
> ancient mistakes that prevent both selective restore of BLOBs
> and parallel restore of BLOBs.
>
> As a demonstration, I made a database containing 100K empty blobs,
> and measured the time needed to dump/restore that using -Fd
> and -j 10.  HEAD doesn't get any useful parallelism on blobs,
> but with this patch series we do:
>
>         dump    restore
> HEAD:        14sec    15sec
> after 0002:    7sec    10sec
> after 0003:    7sec    3sec

Wow, thanks for putting together these patches.  I intend to help review,
but I'm not sure I'll find much time to do so before the new year.

--
Nathan Bossart

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Track in pg_replication_slots the reason why slots conflict?
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Function to get invalidation cause of a replication slot.