Re: add AVX2 support to simd.h

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: add AVX2 support to simd.h
Дата
Re: add AVX2 support to simd.h  (John Naylor <johncnaylorls@gmail.com>)
Re: add AVX2 support to simd.h  (Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 01, 2024 at 07:12:26PM +0700, John Naylor wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 12:15 AM Nathan Bossart
> <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't intend for this patch to be
>> seriously considered until we have better support for detecting/compiling
>> AVX2 instructions and a buildfarm machine that uses them.
>
> That's completely understandable, yet I'm confused why there is a
> commitfest entry for it marked "needs review".

Perhaps I was too optimistic about adding support for newer instructions...

I'm tempted to propose that we move forward with this patch as-is after
adding a buildfarm machine that compiles with -mavx2 or -march=x86-64-v3.
There is likely still follow-up work to make these improvements more
accessible, but I'm not sure that is a strict prerequisite here.

(In case it isn't clear, I'm volunteering to set up such a buildfarm
machine.)

--
Nathan Bossart

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: trying again to get incremental backup
От: Nathan Bossart
Сообщение: Re: introduce dynamic shared memory registry