Re: MERGE ... RETURNING

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: MERGE ... RETURNING
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Mar-13, Dean Rasheed wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 at 06:44, jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > <synopsis>
> > [ WITH <replaceable class="parameter">with_query</replaceable> [, ...] ]
> > MERGE INTO [ ONLY ] <replaceable
> >
> > here the "WITH" part should have "[ RECURSIVE ]"
>
> Actually, no. MERGE doesn't support WITH RECURSIVE.
>
> It's not entirely clear to me why though. I did a quick test, removing
> that restriction in the parse analysis code, and it seemed to work
> fine. Alvaro, do you remember why that restriction is there?

There's no real reason for it, other than I didn't want to have to think
it through; I did suspect that it might Just Work, but I felt I would
have had to come up with more nontrivial test cases than I wanted to
write at the time.

"People get annoyed when you try to debug them."  (Larry Wall)

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: REVOKE FROM warning on grantor
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions