Re: wal_init_zero / wal_recycle

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: wal_init_zero / wal_recycle
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 2024-Apr-24, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 24.04.24 10:08, Nicolas Seinlet wrote:

> > It was not crystal clear to me that when wal_recycle is also ON , the
> > recycled files are not filled with zeroes, because they are not
> > considered as new. Could we add a sentence stating this?
>
> It currently says:
>
> wal_init_zero: "... causes new WAL files to be filled with zeroes ..."
>
> wal_recycle: "... avoiding the need to create new ones ..."
>
> I'm not sure where exactly to make that more clear.

It may be too subtle.  Maybe we could add a note at the end:

wal_init_zero (boolean)

If set to on (the default), this option causes new WAL files to be filled with
zeroes. On some file systems, this ensures that space is allocated before we
need to write WAL records. However, Copy-On-Write (COW) file systems may not
benefit from this technique, so the option is given to skip the unnecessary
work. If set to off, only the final byte is written when the file is created so
that it has the expected size.  >>Note that recycled WAL files are for these
purposes not considered new.<<

"Pero la cosa no es muy grave ..."     (le petit Nicolas -- René Goscinny)

От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: The prompt is not displayed correctly in the example on psql page
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: nested tags in glossary entries in html docs