Re: BUG #17947: Combination of replslots pgstat issues causes error/assertion failure

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: BUG #17947: Combination of replslots pgstat issues causes error/assertion failure
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi,

On 2023-06-01 08:42:45 +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> It looks like the function pgstat_get_entry_ref_cached returned a
> faulty reference, which is directing us to a shared entry which is
> already reinited for another replication slot. In the problem
> scenario, the first backend successfully reuses the entry intended to
> be dropped, which is pointed to by the cached entry, then the backend
> re-drops it again. When the second backend obtains a cached entry for
> another replication slot, the function returns an entry that points to
> the same shared entry with the first backend.

It's not really a different replication slot, right? At least if you consider
the replication slot to be identified by its index / the stats entry to be
identified by its key.

I think the problem might actually be much simpler - when pgstat_drop_entry()
can't free the entry, we don't call pgstat_request_entry_refs_gc(), in
contrast to pgstat_drop_database_and_contents(), pgstat_drop_all_entries().
Because of that, entry refs to dropped stats entries can survive an
effectively unbound amount of time. If pgstat_request_entry_refs_gc() had been
called, the local entry would have been released, before we reused the slot's
stats entry.  There's no race around the entry being dropped concurrently with
acquiring an entry references, as external locking needs to prevent an entry
from being dropped while new references are being established.

I can't explain why pgstat_drop_entry() doesn't call
pgstat_request_entry_refs_gc(). It seems fairly obvious that it ought to?

I think there would be a leftover edge-case, namely that
pgstat_gc_entry_refs() doesn't gc entries with pending data. But we could just
do that - and it should be correct, afaict. I wonder if the reason we didn't
is that we introduced PgStat_KindInfo.delete_pending_cb later?

We probably should introduce a crosscheck against acquiring an new entry ref
for a dropped entries.

A different approach could be to mirror the reinitialization logic from the
shared case to the cached-local-ref case. But I'm somewhat doubtful that's the
right direction. We can't guarantee that every other existing backend has
gotten around to releasing their reference to a dropped shared entry when
"creating" a new entry, but we *can* guarantee that our own backend doesn't
have one.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: error "can only drop stats once" brings down database
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: error "can only drop stats once" brings down database