Re: allow changing autovacuum_max_workers without restarting

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: allow changing autovacuum_max_workers without restarting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-06-03 14:28:13 -0500, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2024 at 12:08:52PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Why do we think that increasing the number of PGPROC slots, heavyweight locks
> > etc by 256 isn't going to cause issues?  That's not an insubstantial amount of
> > memory to dedicate to something that will practically never be used.
>
> I personally have not observed problems with these kinds of bumps in
> resource usage, although I may be biased towards larger systems where it
> doesn't matter as much.

IME it matters *more* on larger systems. Or at least used to, I haven't
experimented with this in quite a while.

It's possible that we improved a bunch of things sufficiently for this to not
matter anymore.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Test to dump and restore objects left behind by regression
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows