Re: Sequence vs UUID

От Erik Wienhold
Тема Re: Sequence vs UUID
Дата
Re: Sequence vs UUID  (Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
> On 26/01/2023 20:17 CET veem v <veema0000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, We were trying to understand whether we should use UUID or Sequence in
> general for primary keys. In many of the blogs (one is below) across multiple
> databases, I saw over the internet and all are mostly stating the sequence is
> better as compared to UUID. But I think in the case of concurrent data load
> scenarios UUID will spread the contention point whereas sequence can be a
> single point of contention.
>
> So we want to understand from experts here, if there are any clear rules
> available or if we have any pros vs cons list available for each of those to
> understand the exact scenario in which we should go for one over other?
> Basically I wanted to see if we can perform some test on sample data to see
> the percentage of overhead on read and write performances of the query in
> presence of UUID VS Sequence to draw some conclusion in general? And also
> considering open source postgres as the base for many databases like redshift
> etc, so the results which apply to progress would apply to others as well.
>
> https://www.percona.com/blog/2019/11/22/uuids-are-popular-but-bad-for-performance-lets-discuss/

I think that[1] provides a good summary.  Performance consideration is just one
aspect.  Is there a technical requirement for using UUID over sequential values?

If there's a single generator of primary keys use bigint sequences.  In case of
multiple generators (multi-master replication, sharding, clients generating IDs)
consider UUID.

There are arguments against sequential PK, e.g. they give away too much info and
allow attacks such as forced browsing[2].  The first I can understand: you may
not want to reveal the number of users or customers.  But access control should
prevent forced browsing.

[1] https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/uuid-serial-or-identity-columns-for-postgresql-auto-generated-primary-keys/
[2] https://owasp.org/www-community/attacks/Forced_browsing

--