RE: comparing rows

От Magnus Hagander
Тема RE: comparing rows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Magnus Hagander <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> > Summary of MS:
> > When it runs in ANSI mode, null != null.
> > When it runs in backwards compatible mode , null=null.
>
> Oh, that's interesting, they fixed their bug.
>
> foo = NULL should produce NULL (*not* true, and *not* false either,
> though it'd act like false in a CASE test).
Ok.
Hmm. I wonder how I check if it produces NULL :-) If I just do:
SELECT null=null
I get a syntax error. Is there some other way for me to check what it does?
It appears that "null=null" isn't a valid expression (neither is "1=1" or
something like that). Basically, it does not appear to be possible to SELECT
the return value of a comparison at all - and CASE will apparantly not work
in this case. I don't think it's capable of handling anything other than
TRUE/FALSE as the result of a comparison.

//Magnus