Re: Table-space documentation

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Table-space documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Sun, 2023-11-26 at 21:41 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/manage-ag-tablespaces.html
>
> While reading the table-space documentation
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/manage-ag-tablespaces.html the
> information I was looking for was not included.  The page invites feedback,
> so I though I would share.  I was specifically looking for information on
> maximum table-space size and whether there is a use-case in which you would
> create several table-spaces to split your tables / indexes logically.  I am
> from an Oracle world and it is normal for me to think about creating
> multiple table-spaces for groups of tables and placing a size on the
> table-space so that space does not extend and fill the o/s disk-space.  It
> would be nice for the documentation to include information about this topic.
>  Even if it is says that these factors I should not worry about as postgres
> handles them.

There is no maximum tablespace size, other than the size of the filesystem
the tablespace is on.

In 99% of all cases, don't create a tablespace in PostgreSQL.  Just use
the default tablespace.

In a virtualized environment, don't ever create a tablespace.

Tablespaces were more important back what people had physical boxes
with physical disks of limited size.

There are still some use cases, but they are extremely rare.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: CONCURRENTLY in example of index of partitioned table
От: PG Doc comments form
Сообщение: Aggregate functions description page should link to Aggregate Functions list page