Re: A situation with one parent table and 3 child tables

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: A situation with one parent table and 3 child tables
Дата
Re: A situation with one parent table and 3 child tables  (Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-sql
> On Monday, October 2, 2023, JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have one parent table (*table_p*) with 3 child tables (*table_ch1*, *table_ch2
>> *and *table_ch3*). Each record of the parent table can be associated with
>> 1 and only 1 child table records. This means that:
>>
>> * Some records of the *table_p* will link to records of *table_ch1*
>> * Some records of the *table_p* will link to records of *table_ch2*
>> * Some records of the *table_p* will link to records of *table_ch3*
>>
>> At first look, this does not make very much sense to me. I thought about
>> considering 3 parent tables, one for each child table. However, the 3
>> parent tables would have the same exact structure and I would like to know
>> if there is a workaround for this issue.

> You are thinking of it backwards.  Your chN tables will have FK pointing
> back to the p table.  I suggest adding some kind of type column to the p
> table indicating which chN table the row belongs to.

Do you need that?  I was wondering about converting the 3 child tables
into a partitioned table.  Then you can query them separately when
you need to, but you can also treat them as one table --- and you
can set up one FK constraint between that and the parent table.

            regards, tom lane

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: A situation with one parent table and 3 child tables
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: A situation with one parent table and 3 child tables