Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> +    /*
>> +     * For domains, consider the base type's typmod to decide whether to setup
>> +     * an implicit or explicit cast.
>> +     */
>> +    if (get_typtype(returning->typid) == TYPTYPE_DOMAIN)
>> +        (void) getBaseTypeAndTypmod(returning->typid, &baseTypmod);

> TBH I'm not super clear on why we decide on explicit or implicit cast
> based on presence of a typmod.  Why isn't it better to always use an
> implicit one?

Hmm ... there are a bunch of existing places that seem to have similar
logic, but they are all in new-ish SQL/JSON functionality, and I would
not be surprised if they are all wrong.  parse_coerce.c is quite
opinionated about what a domain's typtypmod means (see comments in
coerce_type() for instance); see also the logic in coerce_to_domain:

     * If the domain applies a typmod to its base type, build the appropriate
     * coercion step.  Mark it implicit for display purposes, because we don't
     * want it shown separately by ruleutils.c; but the isExplicit flag passed
     * to the conversion function depends on the manner in which the domain
     * coercion is invoked, so that the semantics of implicit and explicit
     * coercion differ.  (Is that really the behavior we want?)

I don't think that this SQL/JSON behavior quite matches that.

While I'm bitching ... this coding style is bogus anyway:

>> +    if (get_typtype(returning->typid) == TYPTYPE_DOMAIN)
>> +        (void) getBaseTypeAndTypmod(returning->typid, &baseTypmod);

because it results in two syscache lookups not one.  You are supposed
to apply getBaseTypeAndTypmod unconditionally, as is done everywhere
except in the SQL/JSON logic.  I am also wondering how it can possibly
be sensible to throw away the function result of getBaseTypeAndTypmod
in this context.

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions
От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: Flush pgstats file during checkpoints