can UNIQUEness of TEXT datatype really be guaranteed?

Тема can UNIQUEness of TEXT datatype really be guaranteed?
Дата
Re: can UNIQUEness of TEXT datatype really be guaranteed?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-sql
I am in the process re-implementing some pgsql table declarations into a MySQL database. I have this one line where I
say
fieldname TEXT UNIQUE,
in my pgsql table because I want to ensure that no one enters the same thing in this field and I didn't choose VARCHAR
typebecause I have no idea how possibly long I might need to let the field be...

... but MySQL doesn't like this because a TEXT datatype is considered a BLOB that can't be indexed and it can't
guaranteewill be UNIQUE apparently...

So I can't help but wonder, can Postgres really guarantee a TEXT field to be UNIQUE... or is declaring a TEXT field
UNIQUEsomething an uninformed, novice user would do?... or is it something indicative of the strength and/or weeknesses
thatseparate the functionality of the two DBMSs.

Ferindo Middleton

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: "Leif B. Kristensen"
Сообщение: Re: Triggers
От: Jaime Casanova
Сообщение: Re: can UNIQUEness of TEXT datatype really be guaranteed?