Re: Increasing IndexTupleData.t_info from uint16 to uint32

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Increasing IndexTupleData.t_info from uint16 to uint32
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Montana Low <montana@postgresml.org> writes:
> I've attached a patch that increases  IndexTupleData.t_info from 16bits to
> 32bits allowing for significantly larger index tuple sizes.

I fear this idea is a non-starter because it'd break on-disk
compatibility.  Certainly, if we were to try to pursue it, there'd
need to be an enormous amount of effort spent on dealing with existing
indexes and transition mechanisms.  I don't think you've made the case
why that would be time well spent.

On a micro level, this makes sizeof(IndexTupleData) be not maxaligned,
which is likely to cause problems on alignment-picky hardware, or else
result in space wastage if we were careful to MAXALIGN() everywhere.
(Which we should have been, but I don't care to bet on it.)  A lot of
people would be sad if their indexes got noticeably bigger when they
weren't getting anything out of that.

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Emit fewer vacuum records by reaping removable tuples during pruning
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: More new SQL/JSON item methods