Re: Varchar Vs. Text index matching - why different?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Varchar Vs. Text index matching - why different?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I just noticed that comparing a text to a varchar results in an index not
> being used without a cast in some circumstances. Given that they have
> identical internal representations (or so I believe), that seems a little odd.

But they're not the same datatype.

I have been wondering whether we couldn't eliminate the datatype
distinction between text and varchar.  Haven't gotten around to thinking
about it though; the mess in the numeric-datatype world seems higher
priority.