Re: Partitionin with check functions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Partitionin with check functions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
fatih ozturk <ozturkfa@yahoo.com> writes:
> My problem in partitioning is about using functions in table check constraints.

By and large, you can't.  Per the fine manual:

    Keep the partitioning constraints simple, else the planner may not be
    able to prove that partitions don't need to be visited. Use simple
    equality conditions for list partitioning, or simple range tests for
    range partitioning, as illustrated in the preceding examples. A good
    rule of thumb is that partitioning constraints should contain only
    comparisons of the partitioning column(s) to constants using
    B-tree-indexable operators.

In particular, a constraint like "sel=123" is *not* going to lead the
planner to draw any conclusions about the value of "mod(sel,6)".
Now, if you'd written "WHERE mod(sel,6)=3", I think it would draw
the right conclusions.

The underlying issue here is that "a=b" does not imply "f(a)=f(b)"
for all functions f, not even if "=" is known to be a btree equality
operator.  Several of PG's standard datatypes have counterexamples,
so the planner *must* take this seriously.

От: fatih ozturk
Сообщение: Partitionin with check functions
От: Harald Fuchs
Сообщение: Re: Partitionin with check functions