Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> That particular example is a very poor one for illustrating your
> point. You severely underestimate "get away with" for the implicit
> cast changes in 8.3. This was a really big deal for many, many users
> of Postgres, and continues to cause many problems to this day.

Actually, that was *exactly* my point.  What's being blithely discussed
here is to make tens of changes that would be equally as painful as that
one, all at once.  You really think that would fly?

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: Application name patch - v2
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: UTF8 with BOM support in psql