Re: Porblems migrating a server.

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Porblems migrating a server.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:00 , David Siebert wrote:

> I have a very old postgres server that I am trying to move the data
> off
> of. It is running 7.1 and has been trouble free for 6 plus years.
> I am trying to move the data base off to a server running 8.1.

In my opinion you should look at 8.2, not 8.1. And 8.3 is on the
horizon :)

> I have managed to back up the data using PG_Dump using like this.
> " pg_dump -b -Fc -h stan.someplace.com -u phone >phone.data"

Be sure to use the 8.2 pg_dump, not the 7.1 pg_dump, against the 7.1
database.

> But I have had no luck getting PG_Restore to restore the data.

It would be helpful if you provided the exact pg_restore command
you're using (again, it should be the 8.2 version of pg_restore) and
the exact error you're getting. Otherwise it's difficult for us to
know what's going on.

> Any suggestions on what the command line should look like?

You might need to use adddepend, which is a contrib module included
in 8.1 (not 8.2 AIUI). (Perhaps 8.2 includes this functionality in
core? You can probably check the release notes for 8.2 for details.)

> I really want to migrate it before the PII 266 it is running on
> gives up the ghost  :)

Not only the hardware :) 7.1 includes known data-eating bugs.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: PG_DUMP not working
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Porblems migrating a server.