Re: LVM snapshots

От Murthy Kambhampaty
Тема Re: LVM snapshots
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Here's the script I use to mount a snapshot and rsync to a remote server;
postgresql is started and stopped on the remote server as part of the backup
procedure to make sure that the backup log contains any errors that might
show up. The restore strategy is to start the postmaster on the remote
server and dump restore like so:

Note that this is not particularly safe with 7.3, since pgrestore will try
to restore every table in the database with the given name. If you use the
schema feature that allows indentically named tables in different schema,
you're in for trouble when you recover it.

Backup restore has been tested so far by restoring a table and comparing the
contents; they were identical. Thanks to rsync performance is fantastic
compared to pgdump to a file (my past e-mail to the list will give some idea
of the problems we've had with that). I'd be interested in comments on the
strategy and the script itself.

Cheers,
    Murthy