Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock

От Andrey M. Borodin
Тема Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On 8 Nov 2023, at 14:17, Ants Aasma <ants@cybertec.at> wrote:
>
> Is there a particular reason why lock partitions need to be bigger? We have one lock per buffer anyway, bankwise
lockswill increase the number of locks < 10%.

The problem was not attracting much attention for some years. So my reasoning was that solution should not have any
costsat all. Initial patchset with banks did not add any memory footprint.

> On 8 Nov 2023, at 14:17, Ants Aasma <ants@cybertec.at> wrote:
>
> I am working on trying out a SIMD based LRU mechanism that uses a 16 entry bank.

FWIW I tried to pack struct parts together to minimize cache lines touched, see step 3 in [0]. So far I could not prove
anyperformance benefits of this approach. But maybe your implementation will be more efficient.

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/93236D36-B91C-4DFA-AF03-99C083840378@yandex-team.ru

От: Ants Aasma
Сообщение: Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock
От: "Drouvot, Bertrand"