Re: Need help to make space on my database

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Need help to make space on my database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/29/24 07:33, Cocam' server wrote:

Please reply to list also
Ccing list

> No, the aim is also to reallocate free space to the system for the other
> tasks it performs.(That's why I said I'd like it returned to the OS)

You led with:

"I need help to make space on my database".

How much current free space do you have available on the disk?

Did you VACUUM FULL a table at a time or all of them at once?

What are the individual tables sizes?

> Le lun. 29 avr. 2024 à 16:19, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
> <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> a écrit :
>
>     On 4/29/24 06:45, Cocam' server wrote:
>      > Hello.
>      >
>      > I need help to make space on my database. I have tables that are
>     several
>      > GB in size. I used to use the VACUUM FULL VERBOSE command; but
>     now, this
>      > command is too greedy in free space to be used and I'm looking
>     for a way
>      > to make free space (given back to the OS)
>      >
>      > Thanks in advance to everyone who responds
>
>     Per
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-vacuum.html
>     <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-vacuum.html>
>
>     "VACUUM reclaims storage occupied by dead tuples. In normal PostgreSQL
>     operation, tuples that are deleted or obsoleted by an update are not
>     physically removed from their table; they remain present until a VACUUM
>     is done. Therefore it's necessary to do VACUUM periodically, especially
>     on frequently-updated tables.
>
>     <...>
>
>     Plain VACUUM (without FULL) simply reclaims space and makes it
>     available
>     for re-use. This form of the command can operate in parallel with
>     normal
>     reading and writing of the table, as an exclusive lock is not obtained.
>     However, extra space is not returned to the operating system (in most
>     cases); it's just kept available for re-use within the same table.
>     "
>
>     So a regular VACUUM should work if all you want to do is give the
>     database the ability to recycle the vacuumed tuple space.
>
>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Kashif Zeeshan
Сообщение: Re: Need help to make space on my database
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Need help to make space on my database