Re: AW: Open Source Database Routs Competition in New Bench mark Tests

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: AW: Open Source Database Routs Competition in New Bench mark Tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:05 AM 8/16/00 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>From what I've gathered in the threads, the tests that GB did were mainly
>SELECT based ... fill a table, vacuum it and then run SELECTs against that
>... but if GB were to release their exact tests, could the MySQL folks
>re-run those same tests and have them come out in their favor?  My guess
>is probably ...

I wouldn't bet on it.  Even MySQL's own benchmark page shows Postgres 6.5
beating MySQL for selects with JOIN, quite handily.  Since real-world
database usage depends heavily on JOINs I wouldn't be surprised if the
standard benchmark used by Xperts contains lots and lots of joins,
which would tend to make MySQL run slow.

MySQL is good at one thing, and one thing only: running simple queries
in single-user mode.

>Now, a *good* benchmark would be for all the various vendors getting
>together, agreeing on a set of benchmark tests as well as agreeing on the
>environment (ie. everyone runs on a Dual-PIII 500 with 512Meg of RAM, and
>these drives, this OS, etc) and they each run their own tests ... then
>each vendor could sit down and optimize their software as only they really
>know how and *then* see how each compares against the other ...

>*that* is a test that I've love to see the results of ...

That's how the normal TPC testing is done, I believe.  Except on huge
honkin' hardware.

От: Don Baccus
Сообщение: Re: AW: Open Source Database Routs Competition in New Benchmark Tests
От: Jeff Hoffmann
Сообщение: Re: geographic coordinate types?