Re: beta testing version

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: beta testing version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 11:02 AM 12/1/00 -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 06:39:57AM -0800, Don Baccus wrote:
>>
>> Probably the best answer to the "what does WAL get us, if it doesn't
>> get us full recoverability" questions is to simply say "it's a
>> prerequisite to getting full recoverability, PG 7.1 sets the foundation
>> and later work will get us there".
>
>Not to quibble, but for most of us, the answer to Don's question is:
>"It gives a ~20x speedup over 7.0."  That's pretty valuable to some of us.
>If it turns out to be useful for other stuff, that's gravy.

Oh, but given that power failures eat disks anyway, you can just run PG 7.0
with -F and be just as fast as PG 7.1, eh?  With no theoretical loss in
safety?  Where's your faith in all that doom and gloom you've been
spreading? :) :)

You're right, of course, we'll get roughly -F performance while maintaining
a much more comfortable level of risk than you get with -F.