Re: Question on doc for RETURNING clause

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Question on doc for RETURNING clause
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
"Russell, John" <johrss@amazon.com> writes:
> Hi, I was thinking of suggesting some doc clarifications and additional examples related to the RETURNING clause.
Justa couple of questions first to see if my understanding is correct.

> I was trying to figure out what the precise “thing” is that comes back from a RETURNING clause. A table reference? A
resultset?

I'd say it's a result set, just like the output of SELECT.

> That made me think both a RETURNING clause could work in contexts such as CTE (yes) and subquery (seems like no).

We disallow DML in subqueries because there's a lot of squishiness
around when a subquery is evaluated, whether it's evaluated to
completion, or indeed whether it's evaluated more than once.
CTEs have tighter semantics and so it's practical to require
"exactly once" evaluation for CTEs.  Partly this is a matter of
historical expectations, but I doubt we'd consider revisiting it.

>> PostgreSQL allows INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE to be used as WITH queries. This is not found in the SQL standard.

> Is MERGE allowed in that ^^^ context?

Not yet, as you'd find out if you tried it.  I think there's a patch
in the pipeline to allow it.

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Question on doc for RETURNING clause
От: "Russell, John"
Сообщение: Re: Question on doc for RETURNING clause