Re: BUG #18240: Undefined behaviour in cash_mul_flt8() and friends

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #18240: Undefined behaviour in cash_mul_flt8() and friends
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 09:37:58AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... Perhaps we could allow extension
>> modules to use binary_upgrade_set_next_pg_type_oid, and then somehow
>> reserve the money and _money OIDs forever?

> Now, I am not sure that we're making users a favor in keeping around a
> data type that's kind of obsolete these days, particularly when all of
> them basically require handling of fractional cents when doing serious
> calculations.  That's a trap in disguise, even if tying data to a
> locale for the unit sounds appealing for some applications.

Yeah, I wouldn't propose this if money were the only type we were
thinking of getting rid of; likely not worth the trouble.  But I've
got one eye on the geometric types as well --- I think it would be
great all around if we could kick those out of the core distribution
and let them be maintained independently.  But I fear we can't do that
without some method whereby pg_upgrade is still possible across the
change.

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: BUG #18240: Undefined behaviour in cash_mul_flt8() and friends
От: RekGRpth
Сообщение: Re: BUG #18247: Integer overflow leads to negative width