Re: [SQL] how to retrieve...

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: [SQL] how to retrieve...
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
ZioBudda wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Margarita Barvinok wrote:
>

> > Try in psql
> > \d <table name>
> > Is this right answer on your question?
>
> no, I need it via a query...
> I want to recreate the structure of a table if I know the name of the
> table.

This is in the FAQ - but the answer there is 'look at the source and see
how \d tablename
does it with queries' ;-)

The freshly beta'd V 6.5 has a new optin '-E' (Explain?) where it will
show you the queries psql uses to get at the system table stuff. I
learned by poking arounf the source of pgaccess.tcl, which is included
in the distribution. Here's a partial example from one of my tables:

idas_proto=> \d "Teams"

Table    = Teams
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|              Field               |              Type                |
Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| TeamID                           | int4 not null
|     4 |
| TeamName                         | text
|   var |
| TeamShortName                    | text
|   var |
| TeamIDASRep                      | int4
|     4 |
| TeamLeader                       | int4
|     4 |
| TeamMission                      | text
|   var |
| TeamDescription                  | text
|   var |
| TeamImage                        | text
|   var |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
Index:    Teams_pkey
idas_proto=> select attname from pg_attribute pa, pg_class pc where
pa.attrelid=pc.oid and pc.relname='Teams';
attname
---------------
cmax
xmax
cmin
xmin
oid
ctid
TeamID
TeamName
TeamShortName
TeamIDASRep
TeamLeader
TeamMission
TeamDescription
TeamImage
(14 rows)

idas_proto=>

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: ZioBudda
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] how to retrieve...
От: Will Benton
Сообщение: aggregate functions and varchar type