Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction
Дата
Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2023-04-28 at 14:35 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-04-27 at 14:23 +0200, Daniel Verite wrote:
> > This should be pg_strcasecmp(...) == 0
>
> Good catch, thank you! Fixed in updated patches.

Rebased patches.

=== 0001: do not convert C to en-US-u-va-posix

I plan to commit this soon. If someone specifies "C", they are probably
expecting memcmp()-like behavior, or some kind of error/warning that it
can't be provided.

Removing this transformation means that if you specify iculocale=C,
you'll get an error or warning (depending on icu_validation_level),
because C is not a recognized icu locale. Depending on how some of the
other issues in this thread are sorted out, we may want to relax the
validation.

=== 0002: fix @euro, etc. in ICU >= 64

I'd like to commit this soon too, but I'll wait for someone to take a
look. It makes it more reliable to map libc names to icu locale names
regardless of the ICU version.

It doesn't solve the problem for locales like "de__PHONEBOOK", but
those don't seem to be a libc format (I think just an old ICU format),
so I don't see a big reason to carry it forward. It might be another
reason to turn down the validation level to WARNING, though.

=== 0003: support C memcmp() behavior with ICU provider

The current patch 0003 has a problem, because in previous postgres
versions (going all the way back), we allowed "C" as a valid ICU
locale, that would actually be passed to ICU as a locale name. But ICU
didn't recognize it, and it would end up opening the root locale. So we
can't simply redefine "C" to mean "memcmp", because that would
potentially break indexes.

I see the following potential solutions:

   1. Represent the memcmp behavior with iculocale=NULL, or some other
catalog hack, so that we can distinguish between a locale "C" upgraded
from a previous version (which should pass "C" to ICU and get the root
locale), and a new collation defined with locale "C" (which should have
memcmp behavior). The catalog representation for locale information is
already complex, so I'm not excited about this option, but it will
work.

   2. When provider=icu and locale=C, magically transform that into
provider=libc to get memcmp-like behavior for new collations but
preserve the existing behavior for upgraded collations. Not especially
clean, but if we issue a NOTICE perhaps that would avoid confusion.

   3. Like #2, except create a new provider type "none" which may be
slightly less confusing.

=== 0004: make LOCALE apply to ICU for CREATE DATABASE

To understand this patch it helps to understand the confusing situation
with CREATE DATABASE in version 15:

The keywords LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE set the server environment
LC_CTYPE/LC_COLLATE for that database and can be specified regardless
of the provider. LOCALE can be specified along with (or instead of)
LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE, in which case whichever of LC_CTYPE or
LC_COLLATE is unspecified defaults to the setting of LOCALE. Iff the
provider is libc, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE also act as the database
default collation's locale. If the provider is icu, then none of
LOCALE, LC_CTYPE, or LC_COLLATE affect the database default collation's
locale at all; that's controlled by ICU_LOCALE (which may be omitted if
the template's daticulocale is non-NULL).

The idea of patch 0004 is to address the last part, which is probably
the most confusing aspect. But for that to work smoothly, we need
something like 0003 so that LOCALE=C gives the same semantics
regardless of the provider.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

От: Nathan Bossart
Сообщение: Re: PL/Python: Fix return in the middle of PG_TRY() block.
От: "Drouvot, Bertrand"
Сообщение: Re: Add two missing tests in 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl