Re: a plpgsql bug

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: a plpgsql bug
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 11:46 PM daidewei@highgo.com <daidewei@highgo.com>
> wrote:
>> I found a problem in plpgsql. When there is a large loop in plpgsql,
>> it is found that the change of search_path will cause memory exhaustion and
>> thus disconnect the connection.

> It is impossible to prevent queries from exhausting memory so the fact that
> this one does isn't an indication of a bug on its own.  I'm having trouble
> imagining a reasonable use case for this pattern of changing search_path
> frequently in a loop within a single execution of a function.  That said,
> I'm not in a position to judge how easy or difficult an improvement in this
> area may be.

I poked into this a bit with valgrind.  It seems that the problem
is that the changes to search_path thrash the "simple expression"
mechanism in plpgsql, such that it has to re-plan the various
expressions in the called function each time through.  It's good about
tracking the actual cached plans and not leaking those, but what is
getting leaked into transaction-lifespan memory is the data structures
made by

        expr->expr_simple_state =
            ExecInitExprWithParams(expr->expr_simple_expr,
                                   econtext->ecxt_param_list_info);

We could conceivably reclaim that data if we were willing to set up
yet another per-expression memory context to hold it.  That seems
like rather a high overhead though.

The given test case is obviously a bit artificial, but I think it
may be a simplification of fairly plausible use-cases.  The triggering
condition is that the same textual expression in a plpgsql function
gets executed repeatedly with different search_path settings, which
doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Perhaps another approach could be to assume that only a small number
of distinct search_path settings will be used in any one transaction,
and cache a separate plan and estate for each one.  That would have
the nice side-effect of avoiding the replanning overhead, but then
we'd have to figure out how to manage the cache and keep it from
blowing out.

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: a plpgsql bug
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: BUG #6052: ADD COLUMN - ERROR: tables can have at most 1600 columns