Re: Cheap RAM disk?

От Vivek Khera
Тема Re: Cheap RAM disk?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Jul 26, 2005, at 12:34 PM, John A Meinel wrote:

> Basically, it is a PCI card, which takes standard DDR RAM, and has
> a SATA port on it, so that to the system, it looks like a normal
> SATA drive.
>
> The card costs about $100-150, and you fill it with your own ram,
> so for a 4GB (max size) disk, it costs around $500. Looking for
> solid state storage devices, the cheapest I found was around $5k
> for 2GB.

gotta love /. don't ya?

This card doesn't accept ECC RAM therefore it is nothing more than a
toy.  I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

There are other vendors of SSD's out there.  Some even have *real*
power fail strategies such as dumping to a physical disk.  These are
not cheap, but you gets what ya pays for...

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806