recursive queries?

От Ron Peterson
Тема recursive queries?
Дата
Re: recursive queries?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
Now and again, I find myself wanting to store data in some kind of
variable-level hierarchy.  To take a familiar example, let's say the
directory structure on my computer.

So I start to do something like:

CREATE SEQUENCE directory_id_seq;
CREATE TABLE directory {
    parent    INTEGER,
    name    TEXT,
    id    INTEGER
        DEFAULT nextval('directory_id_seq')
        PRIMARY KEY
};

INSERT INTO directory
VALUES (1, '\.');

ALTER TABLE directory
ADD FORIEGN KEY (parent)
REFERENCES directory(id)
ON DELETE CASCADE
ON UPDATE CASCADE;

Happy, happy.  The problem is, while it's easy enough to define such a
data structure, support for recursive queries is rather lacking.  To
unroll a directory tree, you basically have to resort to programming in
<insert your favorite language>.

Not that I really know what I'm talking about when I say 'unroll'.  This
data structure is general enough to support cyclic directed graphs.  So
what does it mean to 'unroll' such a beasty?

So what's my question then?  Well, it seems like maybe there _should_,
or at least _could_ be support for some kinds of common problems.  For
example, I would like to constrain my data structure to really be a
tree, and not a potentially cyclical graph.

Does anyone know whether there has been, or ever will be, movement in
this direction among the SQL literati?  Am I asking a completely
inappropriate question?

Perhaps these types of problems are what OODB adherents are attempting
to address.

So, to sum, my question:  Who plays in this space?  Will the SQL
standard itself ever play in this space?

Personally, I'm really only interested in something elegant.  Meaning I
don't want to mess around with a solution where this broker communicates
with that broker via an n-way blah blah blah.  I can maintain literacy
in several tools at once, but not several dozen.  Is my best bet simply
to accept SQL's limitations and program around them in C++ (or C, or
Python, or Perl, etc.)?

Ron Peterson
rpeterson@yellowbank.com

От: Michael Hall
Сообщение: Selecting field names?
От: Felix Slager
Сообщение: Permission denied while importing data from a file?