Re: ODBC Stuff

От Karl DeBisschop
Тема Re: ODBC Stuff
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Roderick A. Anderson" wrote:

> Sorry to ask this as I'm sure it's passed throught here but I'm also sure
> I just looked at the messages briefly and then deleted them becuase I
> didn't think I'd ever need the information.
>
>    I'm working on a program that will run on a MS Windows platform and I
> want it to use a database (PostreSQL) on a Linux box.  From the research
> I've been doing I get the impression that ODBC is the preferred, if not
> the only, method to do this.  So I'm hoping someone can point me at some
> simple steps (they don't have to be too detailed) on getting a MS Windows
> application to talk to a PostgreSQL database across a network.
>
>    I've made a couple of passes over the unixODBC site and came away with
> a much better understanding but just gave up on the MS (ODBC) site since
> it looked like more of an advertisement than an information site.
>
>    The application is being written in perl (ActiveState) and compiled
> with perl2exe to make the installation impact (not a full perl
> installation) on the Windows systems a little lighter.

I don't venture into the windows world, but can I assume that DBI/DBD doesn't
work in the perl install you describe?

If DBI/DBD works then you should be golden.  Assuming that DBI/DBDdoes work,
then you should be able to connect over TCP/IP without any need for ODBC

Karl DeBisschop
www.infoplease.com