Re: Splitting libpq build

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Splitting libpq build
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 3:11 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Having said that, it does work on non-Windows machines to do
>> ./configure ...
>> cd src/interfaces/libpq
>> make -s install

> Well, asking people to download the whole source tree just to build
> client library 1000 times and then 1000 times delete the source code...

Uh ... why are you installing from source at all, if that's your
use-case?  Most major distributions provide packages that subdivide
Postgres into client and server packages, and usually there's even
a package with just the library(s).

> So instead of simplifying the life of maintainers in the different distros
> you made the life easier for yourself. ;;-)

Well, yeah.  Packaging is a different business.  And, having *been*
a packager for Red Hat for a decade, it's not like I've never heard
of it.  But I don't see anything we need to do differently there.