Re: Casting, again

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: Casting, again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> If implicit conversions can only follow specific "promotability" links
> then we don't have this risk.

We've had some evolution in how we do type coersion and conversion,
and istm that we are about ready to take the next step. Before, there
were only a few folks thinking about it, and we implemented some steps
to test out new ideas without making fundamental changes outside the
parser. Now, we can make some more improvements based on experience
with the current system.

I like the idea of having some table-driven rules for implicit type
coersion, since that technique can extend to user-defined types. The
issues we have regarding string types and numeric types need to be
thought through in the context of having *more* string types, which
afaik is how we are going to integrate multibyte character sets into
basic Postgres.
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Berkeley DB license terms (was Re: Proposal...)
От: "Michael A. Olson"
Сообщение: Re: Berkeley DB license terms (was Re: Proposal...)