Re: geographic coordinate types?

От Timothy H. Keitt
Тема Re: geographic coordinate types?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
It would be quite easy to add functions for projecting into different
coordinate systems using PROJ.4.  The problem is how do you keep track
of the metadata?  The projections take parameters (prime meridian, etc.)
and so it would be up to the user to keep track of which projection they
are using.  (Otherwise you have to define a new data type for all
projection/parameter combinations which doesn't make much sense.)

AFAICT, most GIS programs simply project into a cartesian projection and
then use standard euclidean geometry for queries, i.e., exactly what is
currently supported in postgres (at least in 2D).  For small scale work,
that's probably sufficient.  However, linearity of the coordinate system
will not hold at larger scales.

At any rate, it would be very nice to have a geographic coordinate type
in postgres.  Once the meaning of certain predicates (greater than,
contains, etc.) are defined, these can be indexed as well.  Add in the
aforementioned projection code and you have a reasonable start on a GIS.

Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis

От: "Timothy H. Keitt"
Сообщение: Re: geographic coordinate types?
От: Don Baccus
Сообщение: Re: AW: Open Source Database Routs Competition inNew Bench mark Tests