order by x DESC, y ASC indexing problem

Hello,

I saw a posting regarding this issue in august, with no solution...

How to have the planner use an index in the case of a query like :

SELECT * FROM TABLE1 ORDER BY X DESC, Y ASC;

(X is a date and Y a varchar)

What would that index be?

Is there a function I can use, to invert x (the date), so that I can
make a query / index set like :

CREATE INDEX INDEX1 ON TABLE 1 (INVERT(X), Y ASC);
SELECT * FROM TABLE1 ORDER BY INVERT(X) ASC, Y ASC;

Wouldn't it be great to have a mySQL, SAPDB-like syntax of the sort :

CREATE INDEX INDEX1 ON TABLE 1 (X DESC, Y ASC);

Thanks,

vincent

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: drop constraint primary key
От: "Josh Berkus"
Сообщение: Re: order by x DESC, y ASC indexing problem