Re: 1 to many relationships

От Dima Tkach
Тема Re: 1 to many relationships
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You cannot do that with 'standard' sql.

The problem is that when you are deleting a child, there is no simple
way tell whether it was the last entry remaining that still references
the parent...

You can create a custom trigger on the child table, that would do what
you want...
I don't know the syntax of plpgslq (normally write stuff like that in
C), so I cannot juts give you the sample code... But the idea is
something like

create function cascade_on_parent () returns opaque as '
begin
delete from parent where prikey=old.parent and
not exists (select 1 from child where parent=old.parent limit 1);
return null;
end;
' language 'plpgsql';

And then you do

create constraint trigger cascade_parent after delete or update on child
initially deferred for each row execute procedure cascade_on_parent ();

I hope, it helps...

Dima

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Strange error (Socket command option unknown)
От: Doug McNaught
Сообщение: Re: Strange error (Socket command option unknown)