Re: analyze after a database restore?

От mlw
Тема Re: analyze after a database restore?
Дата
Re: analyze after a database restore?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>mlw <pgsql@mohawksoft.com> writes:
>

>>Should pg_dump appened an ANALYZE for each table?
>>

>A single ANALYZE at the end of the script would be sufficient.  I'm not
>sure that pg_dump should do this automatically though.  If you're not
>done restoring then it's mostly a waste of cycles, and how is pg_dump to
>know that?
>
>I do note that the docs are rather stingy with this important bit of
>knowhow :-(  Neither of the obvious places that I looked in (pg_dump
>reference page and admin guide's backup/restore chapter) mention the
>need to issue an ANALYZE after completing a restore.  I'm pretty sure it
>is mentioned *somewhere* ;-) ... but it needs to be more prominent.

While these are all comforting points, I *know* about analyze and I
occasionally forget. It just seems like a nessisary step after restoring
a backup. Conceptually, one could consider it just as important as an
index, i.e. the system will perform poorly without it.
From an "ease of use" perspective, it would be one less step.

От: Rod Taylor
Сообщение: Re: analyze after a database restore?
От: "D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Сообщение: Re: analyze after a database restore?