Re: How to force PostgreeSQL to work faster?

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: How to force PostgreeSQL to work faster?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 11 Aug 2003 at 11:59, Serge Dorofeev wrote:

> Hi PostrgeSQL team,
>
> My PostrgeSQL installed as part of CYGWIN (Windows XP).
> I have compared performance PostrgeSQL to MS SQL (I used a little Java program
> with number of inserts in table).
> MS SQL is faster in 12 times :-(
> It's very strange results.
> Guys who developed this server: what you can tell in this - what customizations
> needs to increase of productivity?
> How to force PostgreeSQL to work faster?

First of all, get a unix. Cygwin is nowhere near any unix OS as far as
performance goes. Get linux and test. Testing postgresql under cygwin is like
testing MSSQL server under wine. May be wine is faster than cygwin but you got
the idea..

Second tune postgresql. Since you have not given any details, I would assume
you are runnning stock install of postgresql, which is not made for a benchmark
to say the least.

Check http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html for starters. Let us
know if that makes any difference..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Baker's First Law of Federal Geometry:    A block grant is a solid mass of money surrounded on all sides by
governors.

От: Paul Thomas
Сообщение: Re: How to force PostgreeSQL to work faster?
От: "Shridhar Daithankar"
Сообщение: Re: Peformance of Update