Re: GUC names in messages

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: GUC names in messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2023-11-28 at 07:53 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 01:35:44AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> >
> > > I agree with that decision; we should use mixed case for these parameters.
> > > Otherwise we might get complaints that the following query does not return
> > > any results:
> > >   SELECT * FROM pg_settings WHERE name = 'timezone';
>
> (I'm sure that you mean the opposite.  This query does not return any
> results on HEAD, but it would with "TimeZone".)

No, I meant it just like I said.  If all messages suggest that the parameter
is called "timezone", and not "TimeZone" (because we convert the name to lower
case), then it is surprising that the above query does not return results.

It would be better to call the parameter "TimeZone" everywhere.

(It would be best to convert the parameter to lower case, but I am worried
about the compatibility-pain-to-benefit ratio.)

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: BackgroundPsql's set_query_timer_restart() may not work
От: Bharath Rupireddy
Сообщение: Re: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node