We reached the limit of inotify. Was: Storing files: 2.3TBytes, 17M file count

От Thomas Güttler
Тема We reached the limit of inotify. Was: Storing files: 2.3TBytes, 17M file count
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Am 28.11.2016 um 17:43 schrieb Daniel Verite:
>     Thomas Güttler wrote:
>
>> Up to now we use rsync (via rsnapshot) to backup our data.
>>
>> But it takes longer and longer for rsync to detect
>> the changes. Rsync checks many files. But daily only
>> very few files really change. More than 99.9% don't.
>
> lsyncd+rsync has worked nicely for me on Linux in such cases,
> as opposed to rsync alone which is indeed very slow with large
> trees. Check out https://github.com/axkibe/lsyncd

We reached the limit where inotify does not work any more. At least
that's what a team mate said. There are too many directories :-(
AFAIK lsyncd uses inotify.

> If you think of using Postgres large objects, be aware that they
> are stored in a single table (pg_largeobject), sliced
> as rows of 1/4 block in size each (typically 2048 bytes).
> 2.3 TB in a single database would mean more than 1.2 billion
> rows in that table, and as a system table it can't be partitioned
> or moved to another tablespace.
>
> OTOH with large objects, files can be stored and retrieved easily
> between client and server with efficient built-in functions at both ends.
> In particular, they don't need the binary<->text conversions or
> large memory allocations mentioned by Chris Travers upthread,
> that may happen when writing your own methods with bytea columns.
>
> But for the amount of data you have, the monolithic pg_largeobject
> would likely be problematic.
>
> Ideally there should be an extension implementing something like
> DATALINK (SQL99), with external storage. I wonder if an extension
> could provide custom WAL records replicating content changes to the
> external storage of a standby. That would be awesome.

Thank you for the hints. There is some info about DATALINK here:

   https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/DATALINK

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/

От: Thomas Güttler
Сообщение: Re: Storing files: 2.3TBytes, 17M file count
От: Thomas Güttler
Сообщение: Re: Storing files: 2.3TBytes, 17M file count